Non-Visible Disabilities and Stigma: Tips for Building Acceptance and Belonging
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 41.1 million people have a disability in the United States. Not only do individuals with disabilities often face the impact of stigma related to stereotypes and myths regarding disabilities, but individuals with disabilities often face barriers to employment. Over the span of the last two years, 20% of America adults reported that the pandemic had a significant negative impact on their mental health, according to the National Alliance on Mental Health. Mental health and other non-apparent disabilities account for approximately 80% of all disabilities in the workforce.
This webinar will provide tips on how to help increase the feeling belonging and understanding of disabilities in and outside the workplace. Key areas we will cover include:
- Defining non-visible/non-apparent disabilities
- Stigma and common myths regarding individuals with non-apparent disabilities
- Cases involving discrimination of applicants and employees with non-apparent disabilities
- Speakers’ personal story regarding symptoms of ADHD/Anxiety/Depression
- Tips for building a more inclusive environment